If you’re looking for a healthy, guilt free chili, you should just go ahead and close this tab. This recipe is always a hit and is one of my favorite comfort foods. Also, because of the flavors, it’s one of those recipes that work all year long. You don’t need to be stuck inside on cold and dreary weather to enjoy this one. It works well even when it’s 100F outside.
I recently entered it into a chili cookoff and it took home the winning prize. Since then, it seems to be on a lot of minds to get a hold of the recipe. I’ve been asked enough since last night that I figured I would quickly write up the recipe for easy access. Below is a shot from my favorite recipe book, the Lily & Val Keepsake Kitchen Diary. I love that I can not only only have the recipe but remember the memories that the recipe has been a part of. Of course, I’ve added that it’s officially award winning, now.
CREAMY WHITE CHICKEN CHILI
- 1 onion diced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2-4 tbsp lime juice (I go heavy)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 pounds cooked and shredded chicken (FYI Costco sells 2lbs of shredded rotisserie chicken all ready to go and makes this recipe so much easier)
- 32-45 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 4 cans great northern white beans 15.5 ounce cans, fully drained and rinsed
- 3 cans diced green chiles 4 ounce cans, drained
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp white pepper (I think the white pepper makes a difference, but that's just me)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (for an extra kick)
- 3/4 to 1 cup fresh cilantro chopped (I go heavy here, too)
- 12 ounces cream cheese (a package and a half)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- In your stock pot, saute the onions and garlic in the olive oil and lime juice over medium high heat.
- Add in the cooked chicken, chicken broth, beans, chiles, and seasoning. Bring to a boil, stirring often, and then reduce heat to simmer.
- Simmer uncovered for 45 minutes to an hour to let those flavors soak in. best!
- Turn off the heat and stir in the cream cheese. Stir constantly until all of the cream cheese melts, then stir in the heavy cream.
- Top with all kinds of goodness.
- My favorite toppings are sliced avocado, tortilla chips, (tons and tons) of cilantro and sour cream.